Rules and policies are in place to make sure your child remains safe and well at school.
Visit the NSW Department of Education’s policy library for all current operational policies.
Attendance and absences
Students must attend school regularly so they can achieve their educational best and increase their career and life options.
In NSW, all children from the age of 6 are legally required to attend school or be registered for home schooling through the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA). All students must complete Year 10, or its equivalent.
For more information about compulsory school attendance, visit:
At Kogarah Public School we believe that:
- school should be a happy, safe place to learn and work
- our school should be a tolerant, caring community
- our school environment should be a pleasant, welcoming and well-resourced place in which to learn and work
- students should be provided with a challenging, high quality education that caters for individual needs and abilities
- students should be provided with a wide range of opportunities to develop their academic, cultural, physical and social skills
- students should be encouraged to participate in a wide variety of activities so that they develop the skills they need to participate fully in their community
- students should be encouraged to become independent and responsible learners who strive for excellence in everything they do
- student achievement should be encouraged and recognised across all aspects of school life
- students should be provided with opportunities to develop leadership skills
- education should be a partnership between home and the school
- open communication between parents, students and staff is important
- students, parents and staff should be involved in the decision-making process of the school.
There are three rules that we expect students to follow, both in the classroom and on the playground.
- Be Safe
- Be Respectful
- Be a Learner
Below is an overview for the focus rules of Term 1
We are in the right place at the right time: Safe (all settings)
We make good choices: Safe (all settings)
We are prepared for learning: Learner (all settings)
We allow others to learn K-6: Learner (all settings)
We actively participate K-6: Learner (all settings)
We use whole body listening: Learner (all settings)
We care for each other K-6: Respectful (all settings)
We include others and share: Respectful (all settings)
We use good manners and appropriate language: Respectful (all settings)
We are respectful of our school: Respectful (all settings)
In the event of rain, a wet weather timetable will be run where students remain indoors.
In hot weather, students are encouraged to take regular breaks and remain in the shade. In extremely hot weather scenarios, the wet weather timetable will be used.